Friday 29 August 2008

On the road



Leaving your home behind
Taking a journey to me is leaving familiar things at home behind. When I'm in a new country, I try my best not to judge or expect or compare. I take in what the world gives me.

We should always remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. Travelling is about exploring and experiencing what you have not in your own country. With an open mind and a willingness to get lost or cheated by touts, you can proudly call yourself a traveller.

The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist. I guess Russell Baker is always in fear of being recognized. But to blend in with the natives, you need careful observations from what they wear to how they greet.

For me, it always pays to make friends with a local.

neighborhood on a Luxor street

No comments: