Tuesday 14 April 2009

Cool hotels 1



A letter to Kurt


Dear Kurt,

Legendary is a word I hardly use in my daily vocabularies. A word I probably will not relate to the service industry, unless of course, the establishment really deserves it.

This is my first stay with the Oriental Bangkok, and undoubtedly one of the most memorable hotel stays I have so far in the land of smiles.

The Sukhothai may be known for its imported buckwheat pillows. The Four Seasons for its 24-hour fitness centre with free flow of fresh juices and coffee. The Peninsula, diagonally opposite from the Oriental, is thoughtful for its digitalized weather forecast in every room.

But none comes close to the Oriental for its impeccable personal service.

Daisann McLane once said when hotel rooms are perfect, she often forgets the details. Here I will not go into detail on the décor of the rooms. But allow me a few words on the pleasant staff at the Oriental, who is well mannered in every sense of the word, and who makes me feel both welcome and comfortable all the time.

The butler on my floor, Khun Rinrada, is a charming lady who goes all her ways to meet my needs. She will always press the lift button for me every time she sees me leaving my room. She gave me a vase of fragrant flowers for my bathroom. And she even offered me a bar of lemongrass soap when she learnt that I liked the smell of this Thai spice.

My room is well maintained by her meticulous inspections. She feels more like an old friend to me than a staff at the Oriental. And giving more than what the guests expect has indeed become a motto here.

Another important person worth mentioning who makes my stay possible is Khun Santichai, director of sales. Within my tight budget he managed to work out a good deal for me to experience the Oriental stay. I was particularly impressed by the view of my room. He even called to wish me well during my stay.

Needless to say, no one can whistle a symphony alone. It takes a whole orchestra to play it. Over the past few days I observed the staffs at various departments, and my conclusion is, they all love working for the Oriental and feel proud being part of it. From their bright smiling faces I see loving kindness and friendliness. And it reminds me of a beautiful saying: you cannot always have happiness, but you can always give happiness.

We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. George Bernard Shaw knew it. And you knew it too by saying about the Oriental: our history is also our future.

I wish the Oriental the very best in the coming years.

Sincerely

Vancelee Teng

Where renowned writers sat and sipped...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice reviews, but would be helpful to know the rates you paid at various properties

Vancelee Teng said...

Hi, let me know which hotel you are keen to explore...

I can always send you a note on the room rates.

cheers.